Subscribe to Angels Camp Museum FoundationSubscribe to Angels Camp Museum FoundationSubscribe to Angels Camp Museum FoundationSubscribe to Angels Camp Museum Foundation

Saturday in the Mines

Saturday in the Mines – Celebrating Angels Camp Gold

Saturday, June 8, 2013       11am until 4pm

At the Museum – 753 South Main Stree in Angels Camp

Free Admission!

Opening salute with a Firing of the Anvils!

Food & beverage booths, artisans at work, demonstrations, musical entertainment and games with the historical flavor of the old mining days in the Mother Lode.

Check back for more details.

Textiles Exhibit

Jewell's Old Floor Loom

A fully-operational turn-of-the-20th-Century loom, along with another loom and some spinning equipment is one of the Artisan Exhibits that opened September 8,  2012. Trained museum docents will demonstrate loom techniques and discuss the role of women in Angels Camp during the mining periods.  The demonstrations will take place at scheduled times throughout the year.

Carpentry Shop

A fully functional late 19th Century Carpenters Shop is one of the Artisan Exhibits located in the Mining and Ranching building.  The exhibit opened September 8, 2012. The exhibit will be operated by experienced wood-workers and museum docents at scheduled times throughout the year.  They will demonstrate the tools and skills of carpenters in late 19th Century America.

Jim Miller

Print Shop

A fully operational early 20th Century print shop is part of the Artisan Exhibit that opened September 8, 2012.  The exhibit, located in the Mining and Ranching Building, is a re-creation of an early print shop, complete with two working presses, type cabinets, cases and support equipment.  The exhibit features descriptive text panels discussing the history of newspapers in Angels Camp and Calaveras County as well as the history of printing. The equipment will be operated by experienced printers and trained staff for the visiting public at various scheduled times throughout the year.

Bob is printing

Museum Lecture Series

Next Lecture on April 11 at the Carriage House at the Museum.  More info below:

WHEN: The Second  Thursday of Each Month. Doors Open at 6:30 PM – Lectures Begin at 7:00 PM in the Carriage House at the Museum, unless otherwise noted

COST: $10 per person (Museum Members admitted FREE). Tickets may be purchased by calling the Museum during regular business hours at (209) 736-2963 or in person.

March 14, 2013:  Julia Costello will speak about her Summer in Tyre, Southern Lebanon and the fascinating archaeological excavation that took place.

April 11, 2013: Cowboys and Their Ranches – Please join some of our local ranching family members as they relate the history of their ranches, tell stories of life on the ranch and describe how ranching operations have changed over the years.  Refreshments, cowboy style as well as some fun surprises.  Presenters are Bill Airola, Rusty Rolleri, Shanna Sawkey & Nancy Whittle.

The lectures for last year:

JANUARY 5, 2012:

The 100th Anniversary of the Incorporation of Angels Camp

Location: St Patrick’s Catholic Church Meeting Hall – 820 S Main St, Angels Camp (Directly adjacent to the museum)

FEBRUARY 2, 2012:

The Civil War’s Impact on Calaveras County & History According to Hollywood

Location: St Patrick’s Catholic Church Meeting Hall – 820 S Main St, Angels Camp (Directly adjacent to the museum)

MARCH 1, 2012:

The History of the Sam Choy building and Chinese Immigrants to Calaveras County

Location: The Sam Choy Building – 1329 Birds Way in historic downtown Angels Camp

APRIL 5, 2012:

Memories of Angels Camp: A symposium

Location: The Angels Camp Museum Carriage House – 753 S. Main Street, Angels Camp

MAY 3, 2012:

The Jumping Frog Competition in Angels Camp:  It’s History, Memorabilia, and Stories

Location: The Angels Camp Museum Carriage House – 753 S. Main Street, Angels Camp

 

JUNE 7, 2012:

The Gold Rush in Angels Camp

Location: The Angels Camp Museum Carriage House – 753 S. Main Street, Angels Camp

 

JULY 5, 2012:

A History of American Patriotic Holiday’s

Location: The Angels Camp Museum Carriage House – 753 S. Main Street, Angels Camp

 

AUGUST 2, 2012:

The History of the Altaville Schoolhouse

Location: The Altaville Schoolhouse – 125 North Main Street, Angels Camp, CA

 

SEPTEMBER 6, 2012:

Preview of the New Artisan Exhibit

Location: The Angels Camp Museum Carriage House – 753 S. Main Street, Angels Camp

OCTOBER 4, 2012:

Hank Monk, Horace Greeley and the Concord Stagecoach

Location: The Angels Camp Museum Carriage House – 753 S. Main Street, Angels Camp

 

NOVEMBER 8, 2012:

History of  Winemaking in Calaveras County

Location: Hovey Wine Tasting Room, Main Street, Murphys, CA

 

 

Refreshments Available Beginning at 6:30 PM

Gold Rush Day

Watch Living Historians Re-Create Life During the Gold Rush

This 2011 Gold Rush Day was a great success! Hundreds of visitors enjoyed the various programs and activities.

The event has been re-named to Saturday in the Mines – Celebrating Angels Camp Gold.

Save the Date for 2013: June 8

Here are a few photos from the 2011  event:

Mark Twain 1880 Letter

Mark Twain 1880 Letter


A letter written by Mark Twain to a young lady in Angels Camp.

Hogarth Stamp Mill

Stamp Mill Dedication

Stamp Mill Dedication


On Saturday July 30, 20011 after more than two years of effort, the Angels Camp Museum dedicated its new historic five-stamp mill as part of its mining exhibit. The huge mill likely dates back to the late 19th century, but was first recorded in 1920 when it was purchased by Harry Hogarth as part of the Relief Quartz Mine. It was moved later in the 20th century and then purchased by the city before eventually ending up at the Angels Camp Museum.

The Native Sons of the Golden West were on hand for the ceremony, including Grand President, David Allen, and Director of Historical Research, Barney Noel. Museum Commission Chair Bob Petithomme was charged with the ribbon cutting. A single operational stamp mill was on display next to the five-stamp mill, and the original five horse power engine that powered the larger mill was loaned for the day by the Ghiglieri Ranch. The single stamp mill was turned on to signal the ribbon cutting and lend its loud rhythmic thumping sound to the festivities. More than 60 people, including surviving relatives of Harry Hogarth, were on hand for the unveiling. Family member, Richard Serra of Vallecito, donated the monument for the plaque. Refreshments were provided by the Museum Foundation.

Newspaper article links to the event can be found here:

The Union-Democrat

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/20110801104311/News/Local-News/Historic-Hogarth-Stamp-Mill-display-unveiled

Record.net

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110731/A_NEWS/107310325/-1/A_COMM02

Hogarth Stamp Mill Plaque

Gold Mining Exhibit

Children learning to pan for gold.

This interactive exhibit allows both children and adults to experience the gold panning techniques used by the prospectors of the 1840s and 1850s. Participants will learn about the challenges of the Gold Rush era from a museum docent as well.

This activity is an additional charge of $5.00 per person (for both children and adults).

Fun at the Gold Panning Exhibit

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

Enjoy this vintage movie clip from the 1950s of “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”.

Famous frog-jumping contest memorialized in Mark Twain’s short story “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.” Newsreel story presenting the 100th anniversary of the contest.
This movie is part of the collection: Prelinger Archives
Producer: Universal-International Newsreel

Next Page »