On Saturday July 30, 20011 after more than two years of effort, the Angels Camp Museum dedicated its new historic five-stamp mill as part of its mining exhibit. The huge mill likely dates back to the late 19th century, but was first recorded in 1920 when it was purchased by Harry Hogarth as part of the Relief Quartz Mine. It was moved later in the 20th century and then purchased by the city before eventually ending up at the Angels Camp Museum.
The Native Sons of the Golden West were on hand for the ceremony, including Grand President, David Allen, and Director of Historical Research, Barney Noel. Museum Commission Chair Bob Petithomme was charged with the ribbon cutting. A single operational stamp mill was on display next to the five-stamp mill, and the original five horse power engine that powered the larger mill was loaned for the day by the Ghiglieri Ranch. The single stamp mill was turned on to signal the ribbon cutting and lend its loud rhythmic thumping sound to the festivities. More than 60 people, including surviving relatives of Harry Hogarth, were on hand for the unveiling. Family member, Richard Serra of Vallecito, donated the monument for the plaque. Refreshments were provided by the Museum Foundation.
Newspaper article links to the event can be found here: